Tony Maserati Mixing Jason Mraz @tonymaseratiofficial @jason_mraz
That's how long the smash hit "I'm Yours," penned by "Jason Mraz, spent on the Billboard Hot 100. But that is not the only stat shattering record this feel-good single set. It is also the tenth best-selling digital song of all time in the U.S. with 6 million downloads and 12.2 Million worldwide. Not a bad day's work... This is your chance to sit next to legendary mixing engineer Tony Maserati and discover his thought process behind the mix of a smash hit. After you have seen Tony mix it, download the stems, and apply what you have learned to mix a hit for yourself!
In this pureMix exclusive video, Tony opens up the multitrack of "I'm Yours" and creates an entirely new mix of the chart-topping hit. Along the way, he breaks down everything from the origin of the song and creating a plan of attack for a mix to his meticulous attention to detail with automation.
Watch as Tony: - Explains the origin of the song
- Discusses how he finds the direction for the mix
- Address the rough mix
- Adds dimension and width to the acoustic guitar using short delays
- Adds texture and a little bit of attitude to the bass guitar using tape saturation
- Explains why he tries not to interrupt playback as much as possible.
- Automates E.Q.s on individual elements for different sections of the song
- Talk about the process of creating the radio edit
- Sends drums into a mono delay, which feeds a lightly blended reverb to add a unique depth to the drums
- Adds personality to the mix with precise automation while looping playback and reacting intuitively
- Compares multiple plugin bus compressors while searching for an alternative for his hardware pendulum es8
- Revisits the original mix and compares this new version
#musicproducer #songwriter #studiolife #musicproduction #recordingstudio #musicproducerlife #songwriting #puremix #homestudio #singer #studiosetup #music #musicproducer #studioporn #music #producer #homerecording #gearporn